Newburyport is a historic seaport destination at the mouth of the Merrimac River. Although a small city, it is home to a large number of art galleries and artists’ studios, all of which play an important role in the overall vibrancy of the city. ArtWalk is a perfect example of Newburyport at its best, providing a relaxing stroll through the different galleries and art exhibits.
Special Artist Demonstrations, Live Music, and Gallery Information:
- Amy Scott will be giving a demonstration at 4:00pm at the Firehouse Gallery in Market Square.
- Robin Thornhill, an award-winning oil painter, will give a painting demonstration at 4:30pm at Studio 54 on State Street. Other artists include owner and artist, Heather Karp, as well as Cara Gonier, and Janet Macleod. Kevin Johnson is playing live acoustic guitar from 6:00-7:00pm.
- Donna Ricci & John Tavano will play classic guitar duets at the Bridge Gallery, 1 R Water Street, from 3:00-5:00pm.
- Lepore Fine Arts is in a new location at 37 Liberty Street. The new space is a collaboration with furniture designers, Fox Brothers Studio and EC Modern, as well as several glassmakers.
- Indigo Artist Studio welcomes spring with new works titled "Outside In," a collection of abstract landscapes, watery reflections, and contemplative green space by local artists Mary Arthur Pollak and Lillian Coolidge.
- Chameleon starts the season with a collection of lively, thought provoking work by its diverse artists. Sara Demrow-Dent’s exquisite rendition of poppies, integrate delicately scribed poetry in graphite, defining the images from afar, bringing the viewer to a place of intimacy when viewed up close. Photographer Jeremy Barnard’s bold black and white images take us to a familiar time and place. Hanging are lush landscapes by Julia Purinton, Jeanette Griffith and Karen Kemp, whimsical wildlife by Tennessee artist Vicki Sawyer, ethereal photographs by Joan Kocak and much more.
- Jim Conley, a well-known Newburyport silversmith and goldsmith, will be doing a jewelry-making demonstration from 3:00-6:00pm at Valerie's Gallery.
- The Connor Summers Gallery at 48 Market Street is kicking off the new artwalk season with "April for Animals 2011." New paintings with corresponding handcut and handpainted animals by Cathy Connor are on display through June.
- Alan Bull's studio will be featuring alternative process photography by Sara Connor, original paper cuttings and prints by Dylan Metrano, and works in several different media by Alan Bull.